Monday, January 5, 2009

"Indian" Crockpot Chicken

Day 5: Recipe 6

First day back at work, and I'm still cooking! Go me!

I was actually pretty worried about this dish because I stuck everything in the crock pot in the afternoon and then turned it on, but when I came back a couple of hours later the crock pot was cold! Turns out the reset button thingie on the power outlet had to be reset, so it hadn't turned on. Really upset I called my mom to see if it'd be okay to cook it (yes really, I called my mom) and she said that if the chicken was still cold it should be fine. The chicken was mostly frozen, so I went ahead and did it anyways.

You may have noticed that this is only labeled with flop. That's because I didn't really like it and thought it was, well, a flop.

"Indian" Crockpot Chicken (mostly from A Year of Crockpotting)
serves 2

two frozen chicken breasts
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 diced onion
1/2 tsp fresh minced ginger
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 t garam masala
1/2 cup plain yogurt

Stick the chicken in the crockpot, and add almost all the spices - save 1/2 tsp of the garam masala. Then add the tomatoes and everything else.

Cook on high for 3 hours. I mixed it up once about halfway through.

30 minutes before you're done, stir in the yogurt and taste. If you feel like you need to, go ahead and add the rest of the garam masala (we did).

At this point our sauce was really liquidy, so we left it on high for the last half hour, but took the top off, to help some of the condensation evaporate. If yours is looking less liquid, cover it, and put it on low.

365recipes 082

Survey says...
Meh. There was a lot of spice, but at the same time it was really bland - I'm not sure how that worked. Looking at the original recipe it seems like another woman who used chicken breasts instead of thighs had the same result, so I'm not sure if it was based on the kind of chicken I used, or what. We both tried it, but ended up eating the leftover enchiladas.

Overall? I don't think I'd try this one again. I'm still going to try to find a good Indian recipe or two, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment