Friday, January 9, 2009

Baked Oatmeal - not bad!

Day 9: Recipe 8

I did breakfast again, and again, it worked! I preferred the breakfast casserole, but I really did like the baked oatmeal, too.

Baked Oatmeal (from A Year of Crockpotting)
serves 8+

6 cups rolled oates (not instant, not steel-cut)
1 cup brown sugar
4 tsp cinnamon
4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
2 cups milk
4 eggs
4 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup butter, melted

Dump all the dry stuff in the crockpot and mix well. Then beat the eggs and dump in the wet stuff, mixing well again.

Cook on low for about 5 hours. I really wanted to do this overnight, but since I don't have a smart crock pot (one of the kinds that switches to warm after a set time) and I sleep more than 5 hours a night, I bought a light timer (the kind that you use to have your lights turn on and off when you're out of town) and had it shut off after 5 hours. I only did this because the finished product would be shelf-stable, and it worked perfectly!

Let it sit in the cooling crockpot for at least an hour before you try to cut it. The more it sits, the more solid it becomes.

Survey says...
I served it with yogurt and fresh fruit and my RAs and I all liked it! It tasted kind of like a cinnamon oatmeal cookie. My husband didn't get to try it (and sounds a bit bitter about that) but I'm pretty sure he would have liked it. If I'd been just making it for us I'd have added dried fruit or something that I knew that we liked (maybe chocolate chips?) but since I was making for 8 people, I figured I'd stay generic and let people just add what they wanted.

Overall? I'll definitely make this again. Oh, and it made our apartment smell amazing for a full day.

No comments:

Post a Comment