Saturday, January 3, 2009

Apple Crumble, and a bonus recipe

Day 3: Recipe 5 (and a bonus)

My husband and I kinda wanted to go out for dinner tonight, but I didn't want to lose my momentum, so I decided I wanted to make a dessert for my recipe today. I was looking through the bookmarked recipes I had and came across an apple crumble one, but then decided that I've made a number of apple pies before, so I wanted to try this one on my own! The recipe is inspired by random ones I found online, and thrown together by me.

Apple Crumble
serves 6-8ish, with leftovers

For the apple filling:
3 medium-sized apples (I used Granny Smith)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp butter, melted


Core the apples, then chop them up into thin slices, and then smaller pieces from that. I left the skin on because (a) my dad has always said it's a good source of fiber and (b) I'm lazy. If you think the texture change will bug you, then peel them also.

Throw them in a container and then toss in the cinnamon, allspice, sugar, lemon juice, and melted butter. Mix it thoroughly so that all the goodness gets on all the apple pieces. What I did is throw it in a Tupperware container and then just shake it up.

(optional) Stick it in the fridge for about an hour. I got this tip from my brother-in-law's girlfriend, and she said it helps the flavors sink in. It also gets you a little bit of juice right away. While it's in the fridge, work on the crumble.

For the crumble:
2 cup oats
1 cup crumbled graham crackers
1/2 cup yellow cake mix
4 tbsp butter, cold

Stick the oats, crumbs, and cake mix in a food processor and mix until the oats are completely ground and it's all thoroughly integrated.

Cut the butter into small cubes, and add them to the food processor a little at a time. Keep going until you can't really see the butter anymore, and the crumble has gotten, well, crumbly.

Take a medium-sized pan and pour in all the apple goodness, then top it with the crumbly goodness. Since the crumble was pretty loose at this point, I just kind of pushed it down with my hands to make sure that it was packed in tight.

Stick it in a 350 degree preheated oven for 30 minutes.

Let it cool, and eat. We especially liked it with ice cream.

365recipes 054

Bonus Recipe - Really Easy but Super Trashy Dump Apple Crumble
So the reason I had yellow cake mix sitting around was because about a month ago we'd had a holiday dinner at work, and I'd brought an apple crumble to that. However, the recipe that I'd made wasn't nearly as fancy as this one - it's basically a dump cake, and has exactly three ingredients:

1 can of apple pie filling
1 box of yellow cake mix
1 stick of butter

Dump the apple pie filling in a pie tin or medium pan.

Pour some of the yellow cake mix on top.

Dot the top of the yellow cake mix with butter, covering as much as possible.

Cook in a 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes.

This is so good, but I hesitate to call it an actual recipe, so I'm not going to count it towards my 365. If I get behind nearing day 300, though, I'm probably going to go back and edit all my posts and pretend like I always counted this, so be warned.

Survey says...
I feel like the crumble was a little too crumbly, but I'm not sure how to transfer that from 'crumble' to 'crunchy crumble' so that's something I'm going to work on. The cake mix added a bit more vanilla and butter flavor to the crumble that I really liked, so I'm going to give myself props for thinking of it.

Overall? It was really tasty and it went especially well with ice cream. I'm also really proud of myself for coming up with a recipe that's more complex than 'marinate chicken breasts in salad dressing and then throw it on the grill!'

Also, I gave some of it to a friend of mine, and got the following text back as a reply: "Mmmm apple crisp... so good... make me talk like caveman."

No comments:

Post a Comment