Sunday, January 11, 2009

Banana Bread!

Day 11: Recipe 9

Late last night I entered the kitchen to get a glass of water, and realized that the bananas we had were getting pretty brown. My husband said to just throw them away, and I briefly considered that, but then I remembered that I had my mom's banana bread recipe! And who wants to waste food when you can make delicious bread instead? Delicious bread it is.

Mom's banana bread
makes 1 loaf

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
3 mashed, RIPE bananas
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 steaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup walnuts or pecan pieces (optional - we opted out)

Preheat your oven to 325, and grease a bread pan.

Mix the sugar and vegetable oil together.

Beat the egg, and add it to the mixture. Mix some more.

Sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda, then SLOWLY add it to the banana etc mix.

If you're going to throw in the nuts, do it now and mix (gently, so the nuts don't get pulverized.

Pour it into your bread pan, and bake it for an hour.

365recipes 098

Survey says...
I loved it! So did my husband, my coworkers, my RAs, the RAs of the building across the way, and my temporary boss (because my regular boss was out of town). I was a little worried at first because the mix only went halfway up the pan, but it rose like crazy as it baked, and even got that neat little thing where it looks like it broke at the top. I really need to finally upload photos so that you know what I'm talking about. (Done! I uploaded pictures for previous recipes, as well.)

Totally making this again, though probably not for a bit since my husband's on a diet for the new year. Or maybe I'll just make it and eat it all by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment