Friday, April 17, 2009

Homemade Pizza!

Day 107: Recipes 22 and 23

I have like a zillion blogs on my google reader (correction: I just checked, and it's only 102) on all sorts of topics, including celebrity gossip, home organization, finance, Mormon feminism, and (of course) cooking. This recipe didn't come from one of my cooking blogs - it actually came from one of the finance ones!

Homemade pizza sounded like, fun, so we decided to give it a shot! I'm counting it as two recipes, because one is the dough, and the other is the pizza we came up with. (Give me a break - I have less than a quarter of the recipes I'm supposed to at this point!)

Homemade Pizza


Pizza Dough (modified from The Simple Dollar)

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1 cup water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
Italian seasoning
oregano

Warm up the water, (you should still be able to touch it - too hot and it can do bad things to the yeast) then toss everything into a bowl and mix it up. I do it with our stand mixer. (OMG, I love our stand mixer!)

After it's pretty mixed, knead it with your hands. Then cover it with a towel, and leave it in a warm spot to rise for about an hour.

After an hour, knead it again, and then stretch it out on a pan. (We use a cookie sheet, because our pizza stone is in Texas.) Sometimes I let it rise for a bit again.

Then - and this is the important part - pre-bake the dough. Stick in a pre-heated oven for about 6 minutes. Pop any bubbles that come up.

Now we do the rest of the pizza part.

Sausage, Mushroom, Onion, and Red Bell Pepper Pizza
(serves 4-5)

pizza dough (store bought, or see above)
olive oil
pizza sauce
sausage
mushrooms
onion
red bell peppers
mozzarella cheese
oregano

Put a little bit of olive oil in a pan, and then lightly saute the sausage, mushrooms, onions and red bell peppers.

You have your pre-baked pizza dough, right? Spread the pizza sauce on top.

Now... layer. We put a bit of cheese, a bit of toppings, a bit more cheese, and then more toppings. Sprinkle the oregano on top. You can do it in whichever order you want.

Bake in a preheated oven of 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes.

Eat. (Though I recommend letting it cool first.)

Survey says...
I try to make things healthier with whole wheat, but I don't think it worked so well in this recipe. We're going to play around with the dough some.

But the rest of the pizza was good. We're going to try to make this a weekly thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment