Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!

Day 104: Recipe 21

The title of this post is the name of the book I got this from, not what I said when I moved in.

This is a recipe I've tried before, but I can't ever find ground pork, so I make it with ground chicken instead. Why can I find ground lamb and ground buffalo, but not ground pork?

Whateves. It's still good.

Sizzling Pork Noodles


Sizzling Chicken Noodles (from Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!)
serves 2-3

1 medium onion
2 garlic cloves
1 pound ground chicken
1/2 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup water
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp vinegar
1/4 tsp black pepper
12 oz vermicelli
1/2 large cucumber
2 scallions

Set the water to boil - you'll be using this for the pasta.

Peel and finely chop the garlic and onion.

Brown the chicken in a frying pan over medium heat, and then drain the fat. Add the onion, garlic, chili sauce, water, soy sauce, vinegar, and black pepper, stirring it all up. Over medium heat cook it uncovered for about 8 minutes, until most of the liquid has evaporated.

While the sauce is cooking, add the vermicelli to the water and cook it.

While the vermicelli is cooking, wash and chop up the cucumber and scallions. If I'm feeling lazy I don't peel the cucumber, but it changes the texture some, so if you want, you can. With the scallions, you mainly want the green parts.

When the noodles are done, plate them, and top with the sauce. Then sprinkles the cucumber and scallion pieces and serve.

Sizzling Pork Noodles

Survey says...
I've made these a handful of times, and we both really like it. I need to figure out what's the deal with no ground pork in my life, but in the mean time, it's great with chicken!

3 comments:

  1. You know you can go to the butcher counter and choose a pork loin or whatever parts you want and ask them to grind it right then? Right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I try, I end up with the guy who either doesn't know how to, or won't do it because of food safety reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're going to the wrong place to buy meat then. You're butcher should always be willing to grind or cut your meat in anyway you ask.

    ReplyDelete