Thursday, March 5, 2009

Cooking totally turned my day around

Day 64: Recipe 12

I was in a major funk today, and then to top it off I had to go shopping for an ice cream social in my building today. While at the store I decided that I was going to cook, gosh darn it, because cooking makes me feel better!

Since it was already 8:30 at night I didn't want to do anything fancy, so we just threw the steaks on the grill. But I called my mom to get this salad recipe that I'm kind of in love with.

Yes, salads count.

Insalata di cipolle e rucola

Insalata di cipolle e rucola
(Arugula and onion salad)

Serves 3-4 normal people, or just me

1 large red onion
baby arugula (spring mix works too)
thinly sliced parmigiano cheese – Reggiano is best
3-4 garlic cloves
a bit sea salt
a bit freshly grounded black pepper
juice from one lemon (use ½ the juice to start; remainder to taste)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Pound the garlic and the salt together until it becomes kind of a creamy mixture. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, and pepper and mix it all up well.

Cut up the onion and saute it in some more olive oil until it's brown. Once the onion is done, pour half the sauce on the onions.

In a salad bowl, layer the arugula, onions, and slices of parmigiano cheese.

Dump the rest of the sauce on.

Eat.

Survey Says

Well, I made this because I love it so it's safe to say that I think it's a keeper. My husband said it was really good, but that it needs something crunchy in it - "like a walnut, or bacon". He wants me to add bacon to everything, so this may just be an excuse, but it's definitely something to consider for the future!

1 comment:

  1. Walnuts or pecans sound like a good addition.

    ReplyDelete